The Rhythm of Time
Matthew 11:28-30 MSG
“Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get
away with me and you’ll recover your life. I’ll show you how to take a
real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn
the UNFORCED RHYTHMS OF GRACE. I won’t lay anything heavy
or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you’ll learn to live
freely and lightly.”
Time is the modern-day currency of life.
Time We Spend:
• 6 months sitting at stop lights
• 6 months doing laundry
• 8 months reading junk mail
• 1 year looking for misplaced objects
• 2 years putting on makeup/fixing hair
• 2 years trying to return calls unsuccessfully
• 5 years waiting in line
• 6 years eating
• 6 years on social media
• 8 years watching TV
• 11 hours a day on some form of digital platform (social media,
TV, music, videos)
• Total: 32 years of your life
• “He who lets time rule will live the life of a slave.” — John
• “Until you can learn to manage time, you can manage nothing
else.” — Peter Drucker
• “The key is not spending time but investing it.” — Stephen
• “A wise person does at once what a fool does at last. Both do
the same thing, only at different times.” — Baltasar Gracian
• “Until you value yourself, you will not value time. Until you value
your time, you will not do anything with it.” — M. Scott Peck
• “The bad news is that time flies. The good news is that you’re
the pilot.” — Michael Atwater
• “The secret to your future is hidden in your daily routine. If you
want to change your life, you have to change what you do
daily.” — John Maxwell
Ephesians 5:15-17 NKJV
See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise,
redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be
unwise, but understand what the will of the Lord is.
“Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it…” — Jesus
- Your life is a reflection of how well you master time.
- If you learn to master the rhythm of time, you can make a
difference in a short time.
- The earlier in life you master the rhythm of time, the bigger
difference you’ll make.
Establishing a Rhythm of Time:
- PRIORITIZE around VISION.
Proverbs 29:18 NKJV
Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but happy
is he who keeps the law.
Ordinary people think in terms of SPENDING TIME.
Extraordinary people think in terms of INVESTING TIME.
• Spending Time: Looking at social media
• Investing Time: Reading the Bible and prayer
• Spending Time: Watching TV
• Investing Time: Building relationship with neighbors
• Spending Time: Taking selfies and videos
• Investing Time: Serving someone
- PROTECT what’s VALUABLE.
- PRODUCE something that MATTERS.
Mark 4:13-20 NIV
Then Jesus said to them, “Don’t you understand this parable? How
then will you understand any parable? The farmer sows the word.
Some people are like seed along the path, where the word is sown.
As soon as they hear it, Satan comes and takes away the word that
was sown in them. Others, like seed sown on rocky places, hear the
word and at once receive it with joy. But since they have no root, they
last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of
the word, they quickly fall away. Still others, like seed sown among
thorns, hear the word; but the worries of this life, the deceitfulness of
wealth and the desires for other things come in and choke the word,
making it unfruitful. Others, like seed sown on good soil, hear the
word, accept it, and produce a crop—some thirty, some sixty, some a
hundred times what was sown.”