10: The Heart of A Servant
Philippians 3:13-17 NLT
No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on
this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies
ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the
heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Let
all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree
on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. But we must
hold on to the progress we have already made. Dear brothers and
sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NLT
Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who
lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to
yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor
God with your body.
- True greatness begins with a humble heart.
Matthew 23:11 NLT
“The greatest among you must be a servant.”
- A humble heart is formed by serving others.
• A servant who isn’t humble is just a volunteer.
• Humility is at the center of the heart of a servant.
• Volunteering is what you do; humility deals with who you are.
- As we give ourselves away, we’ll be fulfilled and secure.
2 Corinthians 4:18 NLT
So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now; rather, we fix our
gaze on things that cannot be seen. For the things we see now will
soon be gone, but the things we cannot see will last forever.
This is how we move from believer to disciple:
• We become greater as our hearts are humbled.
• And our hearts are humbled by serving others.
• And we are filled-full and secure when we give our humble
- Serve people in your family.
1 Timothy 3:5 ESV
…for if someone does not know how to manage his own household,
how will he care for God’s church?
- Serve people in your community.
• People in your neighborhood
• People on your job
• People at your school
• Your friends and circle of influence
Matthew 5:15-16 NLT
“No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp
is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In
the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see, so that
everyone will praise your heavenly Father.”
- Serve in your church.